Oct 25, 2021
What is MobLab?
MobLab brings interactive games and experiment-based learning to economics, management, and the social sciences in general. Our platform allows you to setup, run, and monitor interactive games in minutes with access to data in real time. Students can participate with smartphones, tablets, or laptops, either in, or outside, the classroom.
Quick Start Video
How do I set up my Class?
1. Be sure you've .
2. . Select New Class from the Class drop-down. Name your class in the resulting pop-up and choose how MobLab will be paid for. If your institution has paid for MobLab, please enter your license code here. Otherwise, choose to create a Default class which will require students to pay for their license or redeem a student access code bundled with a textbook. Click Create.
3. From the Class drop-down menu, choose Roster then Invite Students. You can either paste a list of email address or upload a .csv file.
How do I run a game?
Games can be played either in class or scheduled as Online Assignments
1. We recommend grouping the games and surveys into . For example, some instructors create different playlist for each topic, while others group by lecture or date. You may select to make this playlist a traditional In-Class activity or an .
2. Add games, surveys, or a complete module to the selected playlist. From the Library panel on the right, click on the game you would like to add. To add a game, either click and drag the game to the center panel, or just click Add.
3. When you are ready to run the game or survey, click Open Activity . This opens the Playlist and students will be able to join.
4. To start the game, press Begin on the next pop-up window. There is no need to wait for all students to join the playlist before beginning the game. Students can join once the game is running.
5. Your screen will switch to the Monitor panel (see below). You can follow the game's progress, add robots to unfulfilled groups, and preview game or survey results.
6. Upon game completion, you can click the Results icon to see game-play summaries.
Click to setup online homework assignments in MobLab.
What do I need to know about Group Size?
In a MobLab game, a student interacts only with those students in her group. For each game, we have carefully chosen the default group size - you generally will not want to change it. In almost all cases, the number of students participating will be larger than the Group Size.
- As students join a game, they are added to the current group. When the group fills, MobLab automatically starts a new group.
- You can see the status of each group in the Monitor tab .
- In most MobLab games, an incomplete group cannot proceed past the game's initial stage. No problem! If the final group has too few players click Add Robots to complete the group with virtual players.
What do I need to communicate to my students?
- Students must register for MobLab student accounts and join your class using your class's Class Code before they can participate.
- They can participate using their desktop or laptop browser (we recommend Apple Safari, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or Mozilla Firefox) by logging in at . iOS (iPhone and iPad) and Android (smartphone or tablet) users will need to use the MobLab app downloadable from their device's app store.
- On game day, those students who log in before you start the first game will need to refresh their session list in order to join the game.
Check out the list of composed by MobLab power user, Robert Gazzale (University of Toronto).
Email us at email@example.com or call us at .